Thursday, December 23, 2010

Full Figured Christmas List

Dear Santa Claus,

How are you? Hoping you're well and not letting the stress of this busy season get to you. I've been a very good girl this year and have a few requests while you're checking off your list on Christmas Eve.

1.) A red Wii. I don't really know why I want this, I am just filled with childlike glee at the thought of owning one. If you can't do it, Santa, I understand. You may feel--just as the grown up in me does--that I don't really need one of these. You might be right. I'm just putting it out there.

2.) A house to rent in Warren. Note that I am not asking for a house, free and clear, just the availability of a house for rent. Three bedrooms, some space for storage, and in our price range. (Hint: if anyone reading this blog knows of someone renting houses in the Warren area, you can feel free to play Santa at any time!)

3.) Hollywood to either accept plus size women or not. I've given up caring which way they go at this point, I just want them to make a decision.

Confused, Santa? Allow me to expound. I am so sick of clothing stores, magazines, commercials, billboards, etc. telling us how they are creating things for "Every Body" and "Celebrating Your Curves!" Blah blah blah. That's nice, fashion/advertising world, it really is. But what I'm hearing and reading is a lot of talk. Not seeing so much with the action.

What do I mean? I mean find me more than a handful of movies or television shows where the main character is a plus-sized woman. Okay, easy-ish enough to do. NOW find me a movie or television show where the main story line for said plus sized character is something other than her weight or her appearance. I'm tired of watching a storyline unfold where a good looking man "proves his depth" by noticeably looking past her appearance and finding some other part of her attractive. No good. What is that telling plus sized women? That if, by the grace of God, someone somewhere ACTUALLY pays them any attention, they should be grateful because he obviously went through some serious soul-searching to look past her curves?

WRONG MESSAGE!

Truly, Santa, all I want for Christmas this year is a decent show, starring a normal looking woman who gets to have all the things that a bone thin woman would get to have on any other show. I want to watch her have a career and date and fall in love and interact with her friends and be funny and NOT focused on her dress size, or her struggle to lose 50lbs, or even how she overcomes current trends and learns to love herself anyway. No. Stop calling attention to it. Stop acting like being curvy is a disability or some built-in heartwarming human interest hook. It's not. It's not new or a novelty, either. It's just not what you, Hollywood, have been celebrating for the last...ever. There are a lot of gorgeous, plus-sized women out there who are tired of waiting to be represented by you and your kind.

Get on it! For all our sakes. It's Christmas.


Wishing you a very curvy Christmas,
Em

PS: So far since joining Sparkpeople I've lost 4.5lbs. Not the most stellar of weight loss numbers, but it's about a pound a week. Pretty darn okay in my book. :-)

"Magic lives in curves, not angles."
-Mason Cooley

3 comments:

  1. Rock on, curvy gal! Loved this post.
    -you know who

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it up girl! You're doing great. Lived the post, so appropriate! =D See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. i TOTALLY agree with the tv show characters thing... i'm not "plus sized" [i put it in quotes cuz i seriously hate that phrase (which in my completely-alone-after-new-years-party stupor, spelled "fraze" at first - no joke)] HOWEVER i'm really sick of that being the ONLY story line also. that drop dead diva or w/e on lifetime or oxygen is one of my moms fav show. if you havent seen it, its a twig that dies or something and her "soul" (if you will) goes into a "plus sized" girls body.. and.. its awful. trust me on this one......... 2. a pound a week is perfect for weight loss, so i've been told.. so congrats to you! :D i love you and apologize now if everything i just typed is completely absurd. <3

    ReplyDelete